Saturday, December 7 at 5:00
Holton's annual Parade of Lights. It might be frosty but, hey, iit's Christmas season. Register your lighted entry by calling Holton Main Street 785-305-0633 or the Holton Recorder 785-364-3141.
This is a Top Ten Shop Local List:
1. Shopping Local supports our local economy- For every $100 spent in a locally owned store, $45 stays within the local economy and circulates through other local businesses creating jobs and positive economic development. For big boxes, it’s about $15 per every $100 spent, while out-of-town shopping and on-line shopping retain virtually nothing for our local economy.
2. Keep Holton (and your gifts) UNIQUE! Small local businesses have access to unique local products that make great gifts for that special someone in your life. Supporting our local businesses helps diversify our local economy by encouraging more entrepreneurs and more unique businesses.
3. Shopping local supports local charities. Local businesses support local organizations and charities that you depend on through their donations. Without your support, local businesses can’t help all the local philanthropic agencies that come calling. With your support, local businesses give back and help local causes, promote holiday entertainment and all of the special things that make Holton a unique and caring community.
4. Shopping local creates jobs. Small businesses are the nation’s largest employer, and according to the US Census Bureau, they create over ninety percent of all net new jobs. By supporting local small businesses, you create and retain jobs in our local area.
5. Supporting local business establishes our community leaders. What do most of our local elected officials have in common? They are small business owners or work as management within entrepreneurial style businesses. As Holton seeks to deal with the challenges of tomorrow, it is important to generate creative new ways to solve local problems. Small business owners, by their very nature, are creative problem solvers.
6. Supporting local businesses creates the community that we want to see. When you spend money at a local business, you increase building occupancy rates, help establish new businesses and create vibrant local retail, service, restaurant and entertainment options. Local businesses reinvest the money you spend with them to help create a better Holton.
7. Local businesses support other local businesses. When you spend your money with a local retailer, they spend money with a local advertiser, their local accountant, a local bank, the local variety/office supply store, local product suppliers and much more.
8. Shopping local is green. Less money spent on fuel and packaging means a lower carbon footprint. Less time in the car means more time with family, friends and enjoying life.
9. Shopping local supports local schools, infrastructure and services. The property and sales taxes generated through local businesses pay our local teachers, fire fighters, police and support local roads and other infrastructure. When you shop local, you are literally helping to build our community.
10. Shop local because we have many great local businesses that want to help you have a wonderful shopping experience. There is nothing quite like running into your friends and family as you shop your home town, and buying things from people that know and care about you. Do more than just shop Holton. Invite your out of town friends and family to shop our community, and let’s have a wonderful 2013 here in Holton!
Holton Main Street's Mission:
The purposes for which this corporation is organized are to stimulate downtown revitalization in Holton, Kansas through the use of the four key points of the Main Street program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. These points are:
To also receive, administer and distribute funds in connection with any activities related to the four points.
The program will only engage in activities that are in the non-profit purview of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as now or hereafter amended.
Tips for Business Pages on Facebook
Please download these tips on setting up a Facebook page for your business from the Kansas Main Street Quarterly Training. Facebook Page Tips
SHOP LOCAL FIRST BEFORE GOING ELSEWHERE. Holton has unique and well stocked stores around the "square" and t he friendly folks will welcome you when you honor them with your visit.
Thank you to our Holton Main Street Members!
Holton is one of 25 Kansas Main Street, Inc. cities and we need to continue to fund it. Funding is provided by membership contributions, and needs to come equally from:
Governmental Sources (City, JCDC, etc.);Institutional and Private Sources (banks, individual citizens, and businesses outside the district;